METHODS AND PROGRAMS CREATED BY ZULEIKHA
Zuleikha has created Movement Awareness Practices, used internationally. These methods offer a re-set and allow participants to experience the healing power of movement, explore inner movement research and the art of moving freely.
- TAKE A MINUTE® Transformative Self-Care Exercises – “Catalyze Workplace Wellness” – A Resiliency Re-Set
- 5 ENERGY GEMS Everyday Self-Care, a TAKE A MINUTE® program
- LIBERA, the Art of Moving Freely
- BODYLISTENING, Inner Movement Research
- RTHEP© Relaxation Therapeutic Health Exercise Program© for palliative cancer patients, their families, and caregivers
- Solo performances: Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland; Walk for Life, Cancer benefit with 7000 attendees, Delhi, India; American Embassy, Delhi, India; Chapman University, Los Angeles, CA; Cowell Theater, San Francisco, CA; Dance Theater, Fairfax, CA; Kimmel Theater, Fremont, Nebraska; Lensic Performing Arts Theater, Santa Fe, NM; Railyard Performing Arts Center, Santa Fe, NM; The Mountaineers, Seattle, WA; Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, CA; Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, Stockbridge, MA; Jefferson Center, Lied Performing Arts Center, Lincoln, NE; Unity Temple, Kansas City, MO; Duke University Medical School, Durham, NC; Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, India; Sacred River Festival, Ahilya Fort, India; Smithsonian Institution and Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.; Ubud, Bali; Buddhist and Shinto Temples, Japan; and more.
- Collaborations with Musicians and Composers: Glen Velez, world percussion; David Darling, cello; Kitaro, composer and musician; Tracy Silverman, contemporary avant-garde violin; Jai Uttal, vocal and instruments; Eugene Friesen, cello; Aaron Stern, piano; Royel Wooten “Futureman” percussion with Bela Fleck; Foday Musa Suso, African Kora; Pepe Mendoza, Andean flutes; Terry Riley, avante-garde composer and musician; Bruce Dunlap, jazz guitar; Japan Tour with Hamza El Din, Egyptian oud; Michael Fitzpatrick, cello; Babatunde Olatunji, the late African drum master; Rahim AlHaj, oud musician; and other notables.
- The Rumi Concert, an ongoing collaboration of Zuleikha with Coleman Barks, poet and translator of the 13th century Sufi mystical poet, Jelaluddin Rumi, in collaboration with award-winning world musicians. Venues: National Cathedral, Washington DC, co-sponsored by Aspen Institute, National Cathedral and The Storydancer Project (2018) with 2000 attendees; Lensic Performing Arts Theater, Santa Fe, NM; Herbst Theatre, San Francisco, CA; Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, CA; University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA; St. Francis Auditorium, Santa Fe, NM; Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco, CA; Gusman Center for Performing Arts, Miami, FL; Shaftman Performance Hall, Roanoke, VA; Harvard University, Cambridge, MA; Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, Stockbridge, MA; Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY; St. Barthomomew’s Cathedral, New York, NY; United Nations, New York, NY; St. John the Divine, New York, NY; Eastern Carolina University, Wright Auditorium, Greenville, NC; Pacifica Graduate Institute, CA, Williams College, Williamstown, MA; Wofford College, Leonard Auditorium, Spartanburg, SC; University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA; Jefferson Center, Lied Performing Arts Center, Lincoln, NE; New England Conservatory, Boston, Mass; Columbia University Medical Center, New York; and others.
- Conference Presentations, including performances and worshops: Practices of Compassion conference hosted by the Rimpoche Lama Doboom Tulku, Delhi, India; United Nations Chapel for U-Day and Spirituality Week,NY, NY; Crestone Convergence Conference, Crestone, CO; Bioneers Conference, Marin, CA; International Herbal Conference, NH and IL; Women’s Herbal Conference, Half Moon Pond, NH; Global Solutions, Santa Fe, NM; Dare to Act Conference, National Trauma Consortium, Baltimore, MD; Women’s Spirituality Conference, National Cathedral, Washington D.C.; Interfaith Conference, St. John the Divine, NY; Wisdom 2.0, San Francisco, CA; Eileen Fisher Learning Lab, NY; Children Sexual Abuse Prevention Conference, Zuni Pueblo, NM; NCADV National Coalition Against Domestic Violence) Conference, Albuquerque NM; Florence Nightingale Evensong, Nightingale Initiative for Global Health, Washington National Cathedral, Washington DC; and others
- Wellness conferences & workshops – 5 Energy Gems Everyday Self Care for Nurses; facilitation with nurses at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD; Mayo Clinic Humanities in Medicine Conference, Rochester, MN; Self Care for Nurses, Seton Hospital, Austin, TX; Self Care for Nurses, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA; Stronger Together for Women Veterans, Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY; Wisdom 2.0 Conference, Eileen Fisher Embodiment Lounge, San Francisco, CA; American Embassy (for all departments), Delhi, India; Aravind Eye Hospital (for all hospital departments), Bangalore, India; and others.
WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS
- Movement Workshops and Seminars: Sivananda Ashram, Grand Bahamas; Sukhasiddhi Foundation, Fairfax, CA; Upaya Zen Center, Santa Fe, NM; Wavy Gravy’s Camp Winnarainbow, Laytonville, CA; Omega Institute, Rhinebeck, NY; Fetzer Institute, MI; California Institute for Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA; Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, Stockbridge, MA; Ya Wali, Munich, Germany; Washington International School, Washington, D.C.; Jungian Institute, San Francisco, CA; Lama Foundation, San Cristobal, NM; Ram Dass Seminars, OR, Japan and others; Shambala Retreat Center, Findhorn, Scotland; Upaya Zen Center, Santa Fe, NM; Siftung Felsentor Zen Buddhist Community, Germany; Zenith Institute, Olivone, Switzerland; Osterloh Center for Mindfulness, Germany; and others.
- Artist-in-Residence/Guest Artist: LINES Ballet, & LINES HeArt program, San Francisco, and Marin County, CA; CIIS, San Francisco, CA; Culver Academies, Culver, IN; Peace Program for Girls Schools, Kolkata, India; Midland Lutheran College, Fremont, NE; Girls Interactive Peace Performance, American Consulate, Kolkata, India; Lama Foundation, San Cristobal, NM; The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.; Lawrence Art Center, Lawrence, KS; Katherine Delmar Burke School, San Francisco, CA; Artist-in-Residencies in NM, CA, OR, and others.
BUSINESS TRAININGS take-a-minute.com
- TAKE A MINUTE® (TAM) is a registered trademarked program, created and developed by Zuleikha, to Catalyze Workplace Wellness
- TAKE A MINUTE® (TAM) trainings and workshops: Eileen Fishers Inc. and Eileen Fishers LifeWork, to date, have received TAM trains and self-care workshops
- TAKE A MINUTE® (TAM) presentations: Renault Peder Alliance, Canada; McCune Charitable Trust, New Mexico, US; Esperanza Batter Family Services, New Mexico, US; Kama Ayurveda, India
- TAKE A MINUTE® (TAM) website: for Businesses to Licence TAM in the workplace is under development
HUMANITARIAN WORK – THE STORYDANCER PROJECT
ART AS SERVICE
Zuleikha is the Founder and Director of the non-profit, The Storydancer Project ( TSP). TSP inspires positive change in the face of adversity through transformative self-care and movement practices that restore vitality and cultivate joy. Current programs and trainings take place in New Mexico Navajo Nation, US, and India, for women, girls and families facing challenging life circumstances.
- TSP partners and programs: Present and ongoing: Hope Project Charitable Trust, Delhi, India; CanSupport (Palliative Care Cancer Programs), Delhi, India; New Mexico Navajo Nation (What’s in a Story for Navajo school children; and Strengthening Hearts and Minds for Navajo mothers suffering from depression); Northwest New Mexico First Born, Farmington, NM for new mothers suffering from depression.
- TAKE A MINUTE® presentations and sessions for educators & healthcare staff: various departments of Gallup Indian Hospital, Tohatchi Medical Clinic, San Juan County School District health staff, various elementary schools in Gallup-McKinley County for staff, Early Childhood Centers, including UNM Gallup Early Childhood Center, and others.
- Presenter at conferences and events: New Mexico Coalition Against Domestic Violence Conference; Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Symposium, Gallup, NM; “Building Warriors for the Future” Native youth conference, Gallup, NM; Child Abuse Prevention Conference, and Substance Abuse Prevention Conference, Zuni Pueblo, NM; CanSupport Palliative Care Nurses Foundation Courses, Delhi, India, American Embassy (for all departments), Delhi, India; Aravind Eye Hospital (for all hospital departments), Bangalore, India; and others.
These are original songs composed and sung by Zuleikha, published BMI, with world musicians, including:
- Robe of Love, with original and poetic lyrics from mystics including Rumi, Kabir and Mirabai
- Golden Pavilions, Hymns to the Divine Feminine
- Jewel of the Heart, Devotional Chant, Om Mani Padme Hum
- Peace is In My Heart, Zuleikha with the girls of the Hope Project, Delhi, India
- Royal Tea of Love, Original Chants from the High Mountain Desert
BOOKS, PUBLICATIONS & FILMS
- PRACTICES OF COMPASSION, An Exploration and Experience by Darrol Bryant, Lama Doboom Tulku and Yanni Maniates. 2018, Mohar Publishers, Zuleikha Contributor, Awareness, Art and Service
- HOW DO YOU PRAY? Inspiring Responses from Religious Leaders, Spiritual Guides, Healers, Activists & Other Lovers of Humanity, Celeste Yacoboni, Editor, 2014 Monkfish Book Publishing, Zuleikha Contributor, photo Butterfly Tea dance performance
- DYING TO KNOW: Ram Dass & Timothy Leary, 2016, Gay Dillingham Producer, film clips and footage by Capital Video, Santa Fe, NM, live footage: Whirling Dance by Zuleikha, Rumi Concert, Lensic Performing Arts Center, Santa Fe, NM © Zuleikha
- INSPIRING RESILIENCE, 2018, article by Zuleikha, The Convergence Magazine, September 2018, Issue 2
- REMEMBERING OUR UNITED NATIONS PROGRAM, 2017, editors comments on United Nations program with mention of Zuleikha and with her photo in front of U.N. Building, The Convergence Magazine, October 2017, Issue 1
- THE DANCER IS IN THE DANCE, Body Listening for Heart and Soul, 2013 article by Susan Skeele about Zuleikha, SUFI, Issue #85
- DANCES FROM WILD GARDENS, PBS Special dedicated to the Art and Performance of Zuleikha, 2012, Film by Miguel Grunstein
- SAMSARA, Movie 2012, Ron Fricke Director, Music by Michael Stearns and Lisa Gerrard; Music Consultant Zuleikha Bethami
- RAM DASS, FIERCE GRACE, 2001 film by Mickey Lemle, Producer, Zuleikha Contributor, dance performance footage
HONORS, AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Zuleikha is the recipient of humanitarian awards for her work in the world that promotes positive personal and social change that enlivens the human spirit.
- Humanitarian Award Pediatric Nursing Journal 2005
- Images and Voices of Hope Media Award of Appreciation 2010
- Esperanza Shelter for Battered Families Community Service Award 2015
- International Indian Association of Palliative Care Conference Best Free Paper Oral Presentation 2013
- Appointee to New Mexico Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Health, 2006
- Zuleikha’s TAKE A MINUTE® Self-Care Exercises are presently being practiced in 40 nursing colleges in northern India
For all Bookings & Inquiries